Monday, February 22, 2010

Oh, that old feeling, how I have missed you...

So, I joined a gym.

One would look at me, and think that it won't last.

The fact is that I used to play soccer and hockey.

So, when the lady who tried to sell myself and my mate a membership at this local sports club asked me why I wanted to join, that was what came out of my mouth.

I was a pretty good goalkeeper, actually. Barring a sever ankle sprain, I would have gotten a partial scholarship to play for UConn when UConn was taking apart Division I in Men's Soccer. Unfortunately, I did get that severe ankle sprain, with UConn scouts, and their goalkeeper's coach, looking on. Such is life.

I then resurrected my passion for soccer when I worked in Manhattan a decade ago. I joined Chelsea Piers, paid my way to play, and signed up for a house team. For those of you faithful readers that don't understand what that means, I signed up to play with a bunch of guys who didn't know each other.

My record - 6-2-2. I pulled three shutouts out of my ass, including one 0-0 tie. To do that in an indoor league is doubly impressive, since those leagues are fast paced and high scoring. We snuck into the playoffs, as a house team. We lost in the first round to a much better team, but we lost by a goal.

As far as hockey, I wasn't very good. Honestly. I didn't stop very well. But, I could skate hard, I had a scoring touch, and I could fight and check hard. Why did I check hard? Because I used other players to stop. All I want in that regard? I just want to play a pickup game WITHOUT having a heart attack.

I mentioned this to a friend of mine, and I finished the statement with: "I don't want my life to end at 35! I'm still young!"

I get riled up about it, admittedly.

Let me explain.

I should never have let this happen to myself. I joined NYSC about four years ago and I enjoyed going. It was part of my weekly routine (I went twice a week), and it was a vehicle to pamper myself. I would spend 25 minutes total on the bike, move to the cybex circuit and then back to about 15 minutes on the bike.

Then I got transfered to Bay Ridge. And then I gave in to a sedentary lifestyle.

I was more interested in sitting on the couch and eating McNuggets or some such, than looking and feeling better. So much for the joys of instant gratification.

So, I went back to the gym.

2 days in and I am sore as hell.

Oh, burning soreness, how I have missed thee!

Between the diet and the exercise, I might actually be able to pull this off...

...All I need for motivation is right across the street from the gym - a sports complex, with both indoor soccer and hockey. Take that, fatty! There's a new sheriff in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment