Tuesday, February 16, 2010

So, what have we learned?

I'm basically off soda.

I had a glass of diet coke on Sunday afternoon and it was god damned nasty.

I know that I'm a caffeine addict. The only thing that keeps me awake some days is a good cup of coffee. Otherwise, I flounder around and can't quite get through the mist and turn down the white noise that goes on in my brain without it.

I've had varying amounts of the chemical in my brain for such a long period of time that I don't believe I can honestly survive without it.

It's worse than quitting smoking for me. And from what I've heard from others is that they had an easier time dumping a heroin addiction than cigarettes.

My mate and I went out to a valentines day dinner. It was wonderful. We shed the idea of trying to diet that night, although we tried to make good choices. But, the bread... oh wonderful warm and tasty bread... and the pasta... of which I've been dreaming... It was a wonderful dinner, and it was filling and satisfying... almost too much so.

Unfortunately, it wreaked havoc on my digestive track and I almost regretted it. I say almost because, at the end of the day, it was a wonderful meal, with wonderful company, on a wonderful day.

But, what did I learn?

Honestly, I don't think, when all is said and done with this diet, that I can ever go back to eating as I once did. I have to make better choices, and, like when I was "learning" to drink, I need to learn my limits. Maybe I should not get the pasta fagioli when I know that the meal itself is going to be very rich. Maybe instead I should have just gotten a house salad, or something lighter. Maybe I ask the waiter for whole wheat pasta, if it's available.

Damned biological reset. Although, I have been exploring tastes with this diet and discovered a great stew... Next time, I want to try it in a slow cooker. I bet that would bring out the flavors even more....

Anyway, back to my crunchy orange sticks and box drinks... Lesson learned.

2 comments: