Monday, January 11, 2010

Talk about dinner!

I was on a pretty good track yesterday.

I had a low calorie breakfast. And I had significantly reduced my snacking. Then I did the dinner-and-a-movie thing with the mother unit.

I suppose I made better choices. Instead of having a bag of reese's pieces (my usual pain of choice at the concession stand), I had pretzel bites. I still split the large diet coke, and I know that I need to cut down on soda.

Then came dinner. We went to Chili's, and I ordered fajitas instead of a burger. I kept looking at the calorie totals, and feared for my poor metabolism as I crunched the numbers in my head. It turns out that I got out of there only ingesting about 1700 calories. Interestingly enough, most of those came after splitting a dessert.

I need to figure out this exercise thing sooner rather than later, or all this calorie counting is going to be for naught. Which means I'm going to need to do it in the morning and at night. As anyone who knows me for longer than a week has gathered, mornings and I really don't get along very well. I'm going to need to overcome my love of sleep and reorganize that part of my life to make this work.

It's like this. As if losing weight was not a hard enough task to accomplish, I also need to wake up earlier, and then, to make matters worse, overcome my urge to gravitate to the couch and watch tv in the evening. Wow. Do I know how to pick my fights or what? Let's just redesign the wheel, or invent teleportation while I'm at it.

A couple of days ago, I mentioned that I needed to research how much went into a night of "serious drinking." Today, I bring you the results of that investigation.

A pint of Smithwick's lager (my tap beer of choice) has about 175 calories. I have ingested an average of 6 of those on a given night. That totals 1050 calories. In addition to that, I will have about four shots of Jamison's Irish Whiskey. A 2 oz shot is 138 calories. That's 552 calories. That's a grand total of 1602 calories. Add dinner on top of that... And keep in mind I weight dinner heavily as far as caloric intake goes... I would say that most of those nights are probably 3000 calorie affairs.

And for some reason, all I hear is Weird Al's voice singing "This is Why I'm Fat"...

Given, that may be too harsh. The idea of this is to turn my health and wellness habits into a positive rather than a negative. It is all a matter of outlook. As I press ahead, and I continue to clock my normal intake, all I'm doing is getting a clearer picture of what it is I need to change. No one ever said that this would be easy.

I need to figure a way to do this so that my subconscious doesn't feel deprived. That's the true path to success. That's also very difficult because I do like a variety of tastes. I'm sure there's a way.

Caloric intake for 1/10/10: 2557 (321g carbs, 109g fat)

No comments:

Post a Comment